Saturday, December 18, 2010

World Cup 2022 In January?

Michel Platini has announced that there is a chance that the FIFA World Cup in 2022 could be held in January. If the fact that FIFA gave the honor of hosting the World Cup to Qatar wasn't strange enough, it now seems that there is a possibility it will be held the in Winter. Obviously, it won't be snowing in Qatar but with many matches going on in the European Leagues during winter, what are they going to do. Take a break?

I think everyone was baffled to hear that Qatar were the name of the nation that came out of the envelope that was held by the despised Sepp Blatter. I don't want to get into the argument of whether or not Qatar should have won the bid because I think I've already made myself clear that I think it's rather ridiculous that they did. But now with the prospect of the tournament being held in January, I think it's just gotten ludicrous by this stage.

I don't know how anyone can take FIFA and UEFA seriously at times because of some of the desicions they make. Sepp Blatter said the decision to make Qatar the hosts of the 2022 World Cup was purely to spread the game, not for money. I don't see why that would be the reason, I thought it was whoever who had the best proposed bid. Some of the stadiums look like something out of this world, a little bit too good in other words. I can't see them being 100% built the way they were designed.

You can't have the World Cup in January, it's, as you might have guessed, not the norm. The football association's of a lot of countries will have to restructure the format of the league and fixtures for just that season. What happened to the proposed air conditioning stadiums? Already there is, what seems to be be, a bit of a porky pie in the Qatar bid. But it's still early days, so this could just be speculation.

So what will FIFA decide to do? Platini had this to say "The temperature in Dallas during the 1994 World Cup was 45 degrees Celsius, if I'm not mistaken, in 1994 and nobody criticized the USA at the time." So is this a sign that it is just rumors and a bit of speculation?


I would love to hear any comments you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment